Tuesday, April 30, 2013

You Know When The Men Are Gone

Readers & Writers road show at Fort Drum. Left to right: Chris Robinson, Ellen Rocco, author Siobhan Fallon, and Phil LaMarche. Photo: Joel Hurd
Grabbed From NPR's Website
Fort Drum recently hosted author Siobhan Fallon to talk about her book You Know When The Men Are Gone. It is a series of short stories set at Fort Hood. The local NPR affiliate was hosting a reading/discussion with her and I attended last week. I am really glad that I went. It was interesting to hear her stories about the book and her experiences as an Army spouse.
 I liked the book, but it was an intense read. All of the stories took aspects of military life that are very familiar to me, and stretched them into the extreme. The book is a work of fiction, and the stories intertwine around each other. It is  a quick read, and you could easily finish it in a day.

Purchase on Amazon

Have any of y'all read this book? What did you think?

2 comments:

  1. I've never read this book. When Stephen deployed, someone told me, "Don't ever read that book!" So I just stayed away. Maybe I need to give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that argument. It's all very dramatic. Everybody is cheating, getting divorced or just generally a mess. None of the stories really bothered me because they all seemed so different from my life and experience with the army.

      Delete

Comments Make My Day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...