I have been lucky enough to get the Liebster Award from two lovely ladies. Amy at Running Army Wife and Allison at Keep Calm and Soldier On. For this award you have to:
Post 11 Random Facts About Yourself
Choose 11 deserving bloggers and tag them in the post
Answer 11 questions the tagger has asked you and give 11 questions to the people you've tagged.
Firstly, 11 facts about myself.
1. I have the big and little dipper tattooed on my feet. They are practically unnoticeable to anyone unless you stare at my feet really hard.
2. My favorite work outs include lifting pretty heavy weights. I am a huge believer that women should lift heavy. You won't get bulky, but it will burn calories and help prevent osteoporosis.
3. I am 5'8
4. I got my Masters Degree from Georgetown University last year.
5. I took a year off from college and interned for a presidential campaign.
6. Lane and I have been in different countries for a cumulative of 2 years of our relationship.
7. I have been with my husband since 2003. Nine years this fall.
8. I read constantly. I am also an extremely fast reader. At Oxford, I once read 1,000 pages in one day.
9. I want to get another degree in Anthropology.
10. I am teaching political science to soldiers this fall.
11. My best friend and I look a lot alike. People always think we are sisters. She just started reading my blog ( Hi Jen) and I love her more than anything. She is a hardcore bad ass. There is almost universal agreement among our friends that she would win the Hunger Games.
Here are the 11 questions from Amy:
Have you ever read a book more than once? Oh I have read countless books more than once. I have read the Harry Potter books at least five times each. I also have read and then immediately reread The Time Traveler's Wife which is one of the most beautiful books of all time.
What were you like in high school? I was very focused on academics and school. I fenced in high school and was also on the sailing and lacrosse teams. I started dating my husband my sophomore year of high school so he was already a big part of my life.
Describe your perfect date. (and do not answer "April 25th".. I'm not talking about a calendar date) My perfect date would be an all day affair back in Arlington/ Alexandria. We would start out with brunch and then take a stroll through old town Alexandria. We would stop in coffee shops and bookstores. I am assuming since this my perfect date I also have an unlimited budget. We would shop for art and gorgeous home decor. I just love spending time with Lane and we have such wonderful connections to that area. The date would finish with dinner and gelato.
If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live? Washington D.C
Favorite actor/actress? Anne Hathaway
Favorite TV show (current or past)? Past: West Wing. Current: Doctor Who and Sherlock
Favorite dessert? Paleo does limit dessert, but my favorite paleo dessert is actually one we just made for the first time. Lane made paleo cheesecake using cashews and it was amazing. My favorite non-paleo dessert is carrot cake.
What the most recent movie you saw in theaters? How was it? We saw The Dark Knight Rises and it was good. I didn't like it nearly as much as the second one, but I absolutely loved Anne Hathaway.
What do you do to relax when you need to de-stress? Read and drink tea. I also try to do yoga once or twice a week.
What your favorite specific location in the world (that you've been to)? I have been so lucky to travel a lot. However, my favorite is absolutely Oxford, England. I have such amazing memories of attending a term there. I can't wait to get back.
If you could go back and tell yourself something 10 years ago, what would it be? I was just about to start attending boarding school this time ten years ago. I would tell myself to enjoy life and work hard. I would also say NOT to take Algebra Two my freshman year of school. It was a miserable experience. I would also tell my 14-year old self that I should keep my eyes open for a cute boy in my sophomore English Class. He will end up being pretty important.
Here are the 11 questions from Allison:
When did you start your blog and why? What was your very first post (link to it)? I first started my blog because I loved reading about other people's lives and decided, after years of reading them, to start my own. Here is my first post.
What is one thing you like to brag about, about yourself? I finished my Master's Degree when I was 23. Planning a wedding, working full time at the Pentagon as well as grad school was a lot. I am very proud of myself for finishing my education before the Army took over my life.
What is the best advice you've gotten? " Live life as an adventure. If you do it any other way, you will regret it" My grandfather told me this right before I left for boarding school.
What is the best recipe you've ever tried? I have tried so many recipes. I guess that my go-to is the Primal Palate Paleo Short Ribs recipe found Here. I make it all the time and it is absolutely delicious.
What do you wish your parents had been more strict about when you were younger and why? Oh I LOVE this question. My parent's were pretty lax with me growing up, but it taught me to manage my own time. I am extremely independent, and I credit my parents giving me my own space for that. I sometimes wish they had set more strict rules. Sometime they would get mad for something that I didn't realize they didn't want me to do. I wish the rules were more spelled out.
What was your favorite thing to play with growing up? American Girl dolls and Littlest Pet Shop.
What is your most vivid childhood holiday memory? The year I got a boom box and a lava lamp. I thought that I would never need anything else to be happy. Ha, clearly this was the 1990's.
What is a "best kept secret" that you found out about? Ha, it wouldn't be a secret if I posted it here.
What is one thing on your bucket list you're worried you'll never get to do? Have a long term career I love.
What is the best item in your wardrobe? My caramel leather jacket that I bought in Italy. I absolutely love it. It is one of the more expensive items I have purchased for myself. However, it is gorgeous and fits perfectly.
What unique item do you always keep in your fridge? Almond Milk? I guess this isn't the most normal thing to stash in your fridge.
I already won this award earlier this year and awarded a bunch of people then. Since I already tagged a whole buncha people last time I will just tag a few this time.
Chelsea at Not Your Ordinary Anything
Sarah at Dandelions and Daffodils
Alyssa at Life Love, and All That Army Stuff
These ladies are all with men in the military so I am going to have military themed questions ( for the most part)
1. How did you meet your husband/fiance? ( I just really love Sarah's answer to this question so I wanted to hear it again)
2. What is the best way you have found to pass the time while they are gone?
3. What is a base/post you've loved/hated?
4. What is your favorite military tradition? i.e balls, promotion ceremonies, etc
5. What is your favorite book you've recently read?
6. Did (Will) you have a military wedding?
7. What do you think about ACU purses? Look here for examples if you don't know what I am talking about?
8. Do you have pets?
9. What area would you like to be stationed?
10. What posts are you trying to avoid like the plague?
11. How desperate do you have to be to brave the commissary on pay day?
Whew that was a long post. Yay for blog awards! If anyone else wants to participate, just let me know and I am happy to add you to my tagged list.