Monday, June 11, 2012

Pancake Recipe

While Lane was in Ranger school I developed a Monday morning ritual. I would make pancakes and watch Sunday night's Downton Abbey. Although Downton isn't airing right now, I still make the pancakes. I use a fantastic recipe from a website I adore called Primal Palate


The Recipe
1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
4 Eggs
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
1 Tablespoon Water
1 Banana
Cinnamon and Nutmeg to taste



I modified this slightly today, because I am out of vanilla extract. I also like to use almond milk instead of water. What I love about this recipe is that it is mostly egg. Lane says they taste more like french toast than pancakes because of the egg. I think these are a great choice for breakfast, because you get a ton of protein from the egg and fiber from the coconut flour. 


I just mix everything in together, but it is important to note that it takes quite a while to get everything to blend smoothly. I would use a hand-mixer, but I hate washing that thing so I just rough it by hand. 


Batter before being sufficiently mixed

Closer to the right smooth consistency


Once the batter is smooth ( meaning no lumps of flour). Pour 2 Tablespoons of batter onto a non-stick pan heated to medium-high heat. 

Ignore my dirty cast iron pan from making scrambled eggs.

Add banana and cook until no bubbles are coming through the top layer. I am a terrible judge of this so I usually just use a fork to check how brown they are by pulling up the side.

Flip over and cook for another three minutes ( approximately)


I will sometimes indulge with some pure maple syrup. Y'all after you have had this syrup, nothing else will be good enough. 


These are so delicious and good for you. I like them better than conventional pancakes. I have made them with other fruits as well as pecans. 

Little change like this are such a great way to cut out some white flour and add in more protein and fiber. Coconut flour can be a little pricey, but you can find it online for a reasonable price. I would love to hear if any of y'all try these. 

4 comments:

  1. Yum! You make it look easy. (Pancakes have always intimidated me.) And I loved that they were a weekly ritual for you. (I'm totally stealing that idea the next time my husband goes away.)*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! I am going to have to try them on my guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have NEVER heard of coconut flour! SCRUMM!!! Gotta keep my eyes opened for that one! Love the fact you used almond milk instead of extract.... I just became a new fan of almond milk... and paired with plain cereal without any sweetener... omgggg!!!

    Gotta try your pancakes though. They look superb! My problem is getting them to shape like an actual pancake!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. these sound delish! i love to have breakfast for dinner... pancakes are my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments Make My Day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...